Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chapters 5 & 6

1. In chapter 5, Tomlinson discusses 5 (five) bullet points about the differences between teaching curriculum that is important, and “covering” what she calls “scaling Everests of information [that is] not effective for our students." Choose two of the bullets to explain what they mean to you, and how they help you envision the kind of teacher you want to be.

Bullet Point 1: The brain is inefficient at rote memorization and seeks instead to make meaning of information. If we don't make meaning of what we study, we are likely not to remember it, be able to retrieve it, or be able to use it.

Well, I think that most everyone would agree with this because they see it in their own life. Those concepts that I really studied and discussed about in school, and didn't just memorize, I can remember. The topics in school that I just memorized for the test, I've forgotten. I wish I had a photographic memory, but most people don't! So it is important that students understand why and how things are the way they are, so they can remember the information and use it.

Personally, I don't see the point in having my students memorize things without understanding the meaning and truly retaining the information. My job as a teacher is to teach my students concepts that will make them a successful human being. If I take all the short cuts then I'm not doing my job and I am doing my students and country a disservice.

Bullet Point 2: Students in schools, classrooms, and educational systems that teach less and teach it better score higher on standardized measures than students in schools that seek coverage of massive amounts of information with little emphasis on understanding. In other words, curriculum that is a mile wide bu only an inch deep is ineffective in producing real learning.

I think this is a common misconception. With all the hype about NCLB and standardized testing, I think teachers are so stressed about teaching all the things that could possibly be on the test that they are less focused on whether the students actually are understanding the concept. If students are taught less, in more depth, than it will give them the foundation needed to figure out logically things that maybe haven't been taught yet or in as much detail. Also, it's better for them to know a fair amount of information in depth, than just vague pieces of a lot of information.

When I am a teacher I need to make sure that I choose what is most important for my students to know and not go on until they truly understand it.

2. From chapter 6, share 2 (two) exact quotes that are meaningful to you and explain why they matter to you.

"The most successful students understand that their success results from their own effort."

I like this quote because it proves that in order to have success students need to demonstrate accountability with their work. They are not in school just to do whatever their teacher wants, but rather so they can learn what they need to succeed in their life. When students understand that they will have more pride in their work and find success.

"Aim
ing high means, at least, that all tasks require serious thought, that they deal with important ideas, and that they cast students as problem solvers."

I really like this quote because I think it would be a great goal for my future classroom. I love the idea of Aiming High! I'll use that in my classroom. I like that in the text aiming high requires students to think seriously about what they are doing, realize that every assignment has a purpose, and they are able to take on the position of problem solver.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I liked your responses. I agree with you in your thoughts about memorizing... I'm trying to teach consistently with this, by not requiring everyone to memorize the hallmarks of differentiation. I am hoping that most people will come to know and understand MOST of them because they are meaningful enough to think about, but not needing to be memorized. 4 points

States and Capitals

Parts of the Brain